One of the greatest things about Hobsons University is that the conference draws hundreds of education professionals ready to engage in inspiring conversations. Receptions, daily meals, breaks between sessions, and happy hours are just a few places where conference participants can make meaningful connections with each other. If you’re not sure where to start, here are four ways to break out of your comfort zone and break into conversation:
1. Start a one-on-one conversation:
- Hi, I’m ________. Where are you from?
- I noticed you’re from _________. How do you like working there?
- Is this your first time at Hobsons University?
2. Join a group:
- Mind if I join your table?
- Did you all come here together, or did you just meet here?
- Have you all downloaded the mobile app? Let’s connect!
3. Ask for information:
- Do you know where I can find ________?
- Do you happen to know the Wi-Fi password?
- Have you tried any cool restaurants or activities in the area?
- How are you guys getting to ________ ? Can I tag along with you?
4. Talk about Hobsons University:
- Are you (or anyone at your institution) speaking during the conference?
- What sessions did you attend today? Which one was your favorite?
- What was your biggest takeaway from _________?
- Did you meet ________?
- Did you understand ________ from ________ session today?
Keep some of these questions in mind when networking opportunities roll around. And, don’t forget business cards!