Fall is a time for new classes, a new routine, and perhaps a new school. Have you thought about how this year will help you reach your goals? Here are 3 things you can do now to take ownership over your future.
6th, 7th and 8th graders
- Discover career paths. There are so many possibilities for your future career. You can start exploring ideas today by looking at your interests and strengths. Take one of the assessments in Naviance such as Gallup StrengthsExplorer® or Career Key to discover some paths. This will also help you select courses that align with your goals!
- Set your own goals. What are your goals this year? Writing down your goals can help you focus on what’s important to you this year. Just make sure they’re S.M.A.R.T goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-based. You can record your goals in My Planner in Naviance.
- Make a plan for overcoming obstacles. Middle school is a time of trial and growth with friends and in school. You may have an argument with a friend or forget to do your homework. While mistakes happen to everyone, what’s important is dealing with them in a positive way. Ask yourself: how can I learn from this? What could I do differently next time?
9th and 10th graders
- Take classes in a career field of interest. Interested in business? See if your school offers any business management or economics courses. Or if you have a passion for nature, consider environmental science courses or extracurriculars.
- Discover what professions are really like. What’s life like for professionals in your field of interest? Learning about a day-in-the-life of a job can get you more excited about a career path, or it can help you see that it might not be a great fit. Get started by watching video interviews in the Roadtrip Nation archive and explore the tasks and activities in jobs of interest in the Careers area of Naviance. Job shadows and internships are another great way to see what a profession is really like.
- Refine your study skills. Watch the free Study Skills Bootcamp course from our partners at Kaplan. This course provides detailed insight for maximizing your studying potential. Identifying your best study habits can not only improve your grades, but save you some time in the process!
11th and 12th graders
- Complete a resume. A polished and updated resume is a must-have for landing an internship or job. The Resume Builder in Naviance will guide you through each step!
- Plan to apply for college. If you’re planning to attend college, think about what you care about in a school: Location? Size? Majors or special programs offered? Start with SuperMatch® in the Colleges area of Naviance to find schools that match your interests. Your counselor is also a great resource!
- Finalize your post-high school plan. The last two years of high school are an exciting time! Whether you plan to go to college, get a full time job, enlist in the military, or take time to explore, it’s important to create your own plan. The tools in Naviance can help you discover possibilities and achieve your goals!