Lead Data Scientist
Arlington, VA, United StatesApply Now
At Hobsons, education is more than just our business; it’s our passion.Since 1974, we have been helpingeducators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 12,000 schools, colleges, and universities around the globe.
Lead Data Scientist
Currently we have an outstanding opportunity for a Lead Data Scientist position to join our Data Science team at Hobsons. The role will offer the candidate the opportunity to work with Product Development delivering features to the customer. The work will utilize Big Data techniques, Predictive Analytics, and Business Intelligence powered by a Hadoop platform.
Your primary focus will be product development from concepts to end user delivery by leading a team who is applying data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction and recommendation systems and integrating those within our products.
We are looking for someone who has a proven track record of Product Delivery with both B2B & B2C products.
The ideal candidate will also be forward looking and willing to engage with new technologies like TensorFlow and Deep Learning.
Have experience with white paper development, and conference presentations.
We have a strong desire to find someone with an EdTech background or experience working with higher education deans or provost offices.
This position will be located inArlington, VA (Clarendon metro)
- Data extraction & transformation
- Feature development that ties into customer needs and product capabilities
- Working with Product Management to develop roadmap items
- Analysing and recommending new product capabilities
- Working with machine learning technologies like Scikit-Learn, Mahout, TensorFlow
- Develop data visualizations for the purpose of data decision understanding
- Seven years of relevant experience in a product development arena.
- BS in a Math or Computer Science field, Masters or PhD in Data Science preferred
- Five years of working with Data Science algorithms & techniques such as k-NN, Bayes, SVM, Decision Trees and Accuracy measurements
- Experience with Predictive model development using Logistic Regression, SVM or Radom Forest methods.
- Three years with frameworks and technologies Python, NumPy, SciKit-Learn, Spark
- Three years of working with Unix systems
- Five years of database and SQL skills
- Experience with data visualization tools, R, Excel, SAS, D3 etc..
- Experience leading teams of 3+ data scientists.
- Ability to translate product objectives into an execution and delivery plan with milestones and resource needs.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience of working Hadoop and Apache Spark preferred.
Hobsons recognizes the importance of taking care of our most valuable assets – our employees. That’s why we not only offer a comprehensivetotal rewards package but also continuously evaluate our offerings to meet the evolving needs of our workforce.
Benefits Include (but may vary depending on location):
- Affordable and Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- 401(k) Plan with Match
- Flexible PTO offering for all Exempt roles
- Substantial time off for all Non-Exempt roles, including Floating Holidays and Premium Days for Volunteering, Personal Wellness and/or School Conferences/Visits
- Education/Tuition Reimbursement
- Life, AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Voluntary Employee Programs: Legal Services, ID Theft & Credit Monitoring
Work-Life Balance & Culture
- Company Closes December 24th through January 1st as a Paid Holiday
- Generous Holiday Schedule
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Casual Dress Environment
- Flexible Work Arrangement Opportunities
- Global Fitness Program Membership Discounts
- Hobsons Annual Achievement Awards Event
- Employee Funded International Charity Programs
- Adopt A Class - Local Community Involvement
- Work Perks Discount Program
To view our comprehensive list of total rewards benefits, please visit www.hobsons.com/careers/why-work-here. To learn more about Hobsons, and our products: Naviance, Radius, Naviance Active Match, Starfish and PAR Framework, visit our corporate web site at www.hobsons.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
Note: U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Hobsons is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.