User Experience (UX) Designer
Arlington, VA, United StatesApply Now
At Hobsons, education is more than just our business; it’s our passion.Since 1974, we have been helping educators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 12,000 schools, colleges, and universities around the globe.
User Experience Designer
Are you passionate about K-12 education? Are you inspired by the idea that learning should be connected to life? Do you believe it takes a village to help a student succeed? We are Naviance by Hobsons, and we craft solutions that enable counselors, schools, and districts to help their students figure out who they are and get where they want to go. This position is a key member of our Naviance User Experience team who ensures our solutions are intuitive and engaging for users, across devices. This position includes facilitating a user-centered discovery process, as well as creating design concepts and prototypes that will improve the experience of our products, and help provide valuable solutions to students and education professionals.
The User Experience Designer serves as an expert across the various disciplines of user experience, including user research, information architecture, interaction design, content, analytics and accessibility. Join us and help students and institutions blaze a trail to better post secondary outcomes.
This position will be located in: Arlington, VA (Clarendon Metro).
Please remember to include a portfolio link on your resume.
- Work with our user experience and product management teams to research, concept and design intuitive digital experiences that clarify complex functionality across global locations.
- Help facilitate collaborative working sessions such as story boarding and design studios, which include diverse stakeholders in product, engineering, and other areas of the business.
- Assist senior team members with creating style guidelines and patterns, focusing on a consistent and intuitive experience across a product platform.
- Prototype recommendations in the form of wireframes and interaction-based prototypes for project initiatives, as appropriate.
- Support user research activities, including usability testing, heuristic evaluations and user interviews.
- Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team to understand business and user needs, as well as technical capabilities.
- Attend scrum ceremonies and serve as the point person for designs on multiple scrum teams.
- Work with engineering team through implementation to ensure the desired user experience is carried through the development cycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in user experience, interaction design, information architecture or related field, or equivalent years of related experience is required
- 2-5 years of UX experience with web sites and/or web applications/architectures
- Education industry experience preferred
- Portfolio link, and examples showcasing experience, in planning and creating intuitive digital experiences
- Understanding of usability and responsive design best practices
- Ability to own and articulate design decisions
- Proficiency with prototyping tools such as Sketch, Balsamiq, Axure, InVision, Photoshop
- Knowledge with HTML5, CSS a plus
- Experience designing in an Agile environment that includes SaaS and B2B products a plus
- Ability to collaborate with others
- Basic understanding of product development and sales cycle
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Our employees are a direct reflection of our business. Diverse and talented, we are passionate about the power of education and proactive in seeking new challenges and innovations.
But the most exciting part of Hobsons is where we are headed. We believe the biggest ideas are yet to come. We are well positioned for the future with a growing workforce, international expansion, increasing revenue, creative thinking and new opportunities.
Hobsons recognizes the importance of taking care of our most valuable assets – our employees. That’s why we not only offer a comprehensive benefits package but also continuously evaluate our offerings to meet the evolving needs of our workforce.
Benefits include (but may vary depending on global location):
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Referral Program
Mental & Emotional Well-being
- Substantial Paid Time-off
- Generous Holiday Schedule PLUS a company-wide paid winter holiday from Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day
- Casual Dress Environment
- Flexible Work Arrangement Program
In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, we actively foster a corporate culture that rewards employee excellence and encourages community service.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
Note: U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Hobsons is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.