Technical Support Engineer
Cincinnati, OH, United StatesApply Now
At Hobsons, education is more than just our business; it’s our passion.Since 1974, we have been helpingeducators, administrators, students, and families maximize success through every stage of the learning lifecycle. Hobsons’ personalized learning, academic planning, post-secondary enrollment, and student support solutions serve millions of students across more than 12,000 schools, colleges, and universities around the globe.
Technical Support Engineer
Currently, we have an outstanding opportunity for a Technical Support Engineer. The primary purpose of the Support Engineer will be to provide Level 2 support for the Hobsons Starfish product. They ideal candidate will possess a deep knowledge of the Starfish product suite or display the ability to quickly learn all product features. They will also be responsible for monitoring the performance and health of production systems and take immediate corrective action based on alerts.
This position will be located in:
Cincinnati, OH (Sharonville OH)
- Must be able to proactively solve client problems that are escalated to technical support from internal client solutions support teams
- Handling a multitude of application support-related tasks on a daily basis and prioritize them accordingly, communicating expectations to the appropriate parties
- Interacting with multiple technical departments / teams to resolve problems
- Perform a deep analysis of client and application problems / issues and document them in a detailed format so that they are easily reproducible and resolved
- Generate customized reports on querying client databases
- Produce documentation for internal best practices
- Oracle/SQL Server/MySQL SQL knowledge/PostgreSQL knowledge—ability to analyze existing database tables and perform “under the cover” type SQL work that the product suite may currently lack
- Programming Understanding —(.Net/Java/PHP) ability debug .Net/Java code to help uncover workarounds for core product issues.
- Web / Application Server Administration / Monitoring—(IIS / Apache / Tomcat) ability to assist in the monitoring of web and application servers for product suite and perform various low-impact administrative tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree, required, preferably in MIS, computer science, engineering, or related field
- 1-4 years’ professional experience in supporting web-based software applications
- Technical field expertise solving an average of 10-15 external client tickets per day for a total of 1200 client institutions
- 1-4 years experience working closely with other teams (ie Development, DBA, QA, Infrastructure) to liaise on client production issues and future improvements to the solution set
- Ability to work a variety of shifts to support Global 24/7/365 staffing as well as work a rotating on-call schedule for internal support during weekend hours
- Knowledge of product support principles, practices, techniques, and tools
- Ability to create and edit written materials.
- Experience with Linux servers a plus
- Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to higher education a plus.
Hobsons recognizes the importance of taking care of our most valuable assets – our employees. That’s why we not only offer a comprehensivetotal rewards package but also continuously evaluate our offerings to meet the evolving needs of our workforce.
Benefits Include(but may vary depending on global location):
- Affordable and Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- 401(k) Plan with Match
- Substantial Paid Time-Off
- Education/Tuition Reimbursement
- Life, AD&D, Short-termand Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Voluntary Employee Programs: Legal Services, ID Theft & Credit Monitoring
Work-Life Balance & Culture
- Company Closes December 24th through January 1st as a Paid Holiday
- Generous Holiday Schedule with Floating Holidays
- Premium Days forVolunteering, Personal Wellness, and/or School Conferences/Visits
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Casual Dress Environment
- Flexible Work Arrangement Opportunities
- Global Fitness Program Membership Discounts
- H’Oscars Annual Awards Event
- Employee Funded International Charity Programs
- Adopt A Class- Local Community Involvement
- Work Perks Discount Program
To view our comprehensive list of total rewards benefits, please visit www.hobsons.com/careers/why-work-here. To learn more about Hobsons, and our products: Naviance, Radius, Naviance Active Match, Starfish and PAR Framework, visit our corporate web site at www.hobsons.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
Note: U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Hobsons is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.