Director, Cloud Operations
Arlington, VA, United StatesApply Now
Hobsons connects learning to life by matching students to opportunity across a lifetime of education decisions. Nearly 60% of first-year college students find they aren’t prepared for college, despite being technically eligible for it. Employers are also finding that students are not being properly prepared for the workforce in key areas. We aim to change that by delivering college and career readiness solutions that help bridge the gap between college access and completion by engaging students throughout their educational journey.
Director of Cloud Operations
The Director of Cloud Operations is responsible for establishing best practices for Hobsons’ product deployment and hosting. This leader will liaise with product and engineering organizations to aid new feature and functionality delivery as well as financial forecasting of hosting and tooling costs. This role is vital to ensuring the reliability and stability of our platforms for millions of students around the world.
This position will be located in: Arlington, VA (Clarendon metro)
- Develop, implement and execute roadmaps and strategies for the architecture team including establishing policies and best practices.
- Collaborate across departments to ensure a high quality of service and successful completion of deliverables.
- Oversee architectural and design decisions for Hobsons’ deployment and hosting.
- Lead and coach a team of DevOps engineers, focusing on cutting edge cloud hosting strategies.
- Maintain and ensure a disciplined team approach to patches, upgrades, security and operational best practices.
- Contribute to team workload and escalation demands in a senior technical capacity.
- Deep understanding of Agile methodologies: Scrum and Kanban.
- Comfortable working On Call and leveraging NOC and automated tooling to respond to monitoring alerts.
- At least 10 years of IT experience with at least 3 years in a management role.
- Deep experience with AWS hosting best practices and design principles including IAM, VPC, EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, CloudWatch, ALB, ELB and SES.
- Hands on experience guiding Development and QA teams on CI/CD pipelines.
- 2 years of experience working with docker and docker orchestration: Kubernetes (preferred), Mesosphere or ECS.
- Experience managing infrastructure as code using Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation, Chef, or Puppet.
- Experience automating deployments across multiple environments (Dev/QA/Staging/Prod).
- 1-2 years of experience managing RDBMS and NoSQL database systems (MySQL, Postgres or MongoDB) desired.
- Must have working knowledge of handling Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity in AWS.
- Experience with CloudWatch, DataDog, New Relic, Nagios, Splunk or similar monitoring tools.
- Scripting experience in Bash, Ruby, Python, PowerShell or similar languages.
- Experience managing Source Control systems, such as GIT and SVN.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, including ability to communicate effectively with internal customers, outside customers, organizations, and vendors with a strong customer service-orientation.
- Exposure to CI tooling such as SonarQube, Artifactory, Jenkins, Circle CI, and Snyk.
- Demonstrated vision and ownership of major technologies, infrastructure and systems across varying landscapes.
- Ability to adapt to evolving product visions and emerging technologies.
- Development background is a plus.
- AWS Certifications is a plus.
Hobsons recognizes the importance of taking care of our most valuable assets – our employees. That’s why we not only offer a comprehensive total rewards package but also continuously evaluate our offerings to meet the evolving needs of our workforce.
Benefits Include (but may vary depending on location):
- Affordable and Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- 401(k) Plan with Match
- Flexible PTO offering for all Exempt roles
- Substantial time off for all Non-Exempt roles, including Floating Holidays and Premium Days for Volunteering, Personal Wellness and/or School Conferences/Visits
- Education/Tuition Reimbursement
- Life, AD&D, Short-term and Long-term Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
- Voluntary Employee Programs: Legal Services, ID Theft & Credit Monitoring
Work-Life Balance & Culture
- Company Closes December 24th through January 1st as a Paid Holiday
- Generous Holiday Schedule
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Casual Dress Environment
- Flexible Work Arrangement Opportunities
- Global Fitness Program Membership Discounts
- Hobsons Annual Achievement Awards Event
- Employee Funded International Charity Programs
- Adopt A Class - Local Community Involvement
- Work Perks Discount Program
To view our comprehensive list of total rewards benefits, please visit www.hobsons.com/careers/why-work-here. To learn more about Hobsons, and our products: Naviance, Radius, Naviance Active Match, Starfish and PAR Framework, visit our corporate web site at www.hobsons.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter.
Ability to document identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of original appointment as a condition of employment in compliance with Immigration Reform and Control Act requirements.
Note: U.S. Citizens and those authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Hobsons is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.Apply Now